This is the Law 15 of The 15 Invaluable Laws of Growth by Dr. John Maxwell, as read and understood by me.
Growing Yourself Enables You To Grow Others
If you’re not doing something with your life, it doesn’t matter how long it is!
“Other Need To Grow Too”
Adding Value To Others
- You cannot give what you do not have
- If you have worked to learn or earn something, you have the ability to pass it on to others. e.g. a person who is not a millionaire cannot give a good advice on how to become one. Advice is FREE be careful who you get it from.
- Daily Ask Your Self: What Good Shall I do Today
- What Good Have I Done Today?
Be A River, Not A Reservoir
Start thinking of yourself as a river instead of a reservoir. Most people who do make personal growth part of their lives do it to add value to themselves. They are like reservoirs that continually take in water but only fill themselves up. In contract, a river flows. Whatever water it receives, it gives away. That’s the way we should be as we learn and grow. This requires an abundance mind-set and a belief that we will keep receiving.
These questions are excellent for identifying someone who can encourage us to be our best:
- Who mentors you and offers you a baseline of wisdom?
- Who mentors you to aspire to be a better person?
- Who challenges you to think?
- Who cheers on your dreams?
- Who cares enough to rebuke you?
- Who is merciful when you have failed?
- Who shares the load in pressurized moments without being asked?
- Who brings fun and laughter into your life?
- Who gives you perspective when you become dispirited?
- Who inspires you to seek faithfully after God?
- Who loves you unconditionally?
Now, turn these questions around on yourself and reflect how YOU can be this person to someone else.
I have one life and one chanced to make it count for something…. My faith demands that I do whatever I can, wherever I am, whenever I can, for as long as I can with whatever I have to try to make a difference. – Jimmy Carter
“Give To Grow, Grow To Give”
Making The Right Contribution Choices – You must be Intentional
Live in an abundance attitude
Zig Ziglar – You can get everything in life you want if you help enough people to get what they want. NO ONE SUCCEEDS ALONE!
There is no success without sacrifice. If we succeed without sacrifice, then it is because someone who went before us made the sacrifice. If you sacrifice and don’t see success, then someone who follows will reap success from your sacrifice.
Put people first
- Is there anything more important than people?
All things in the world are temporary. People are what matter. Your career, hobbies, and other interests will die with you. People continue on.
- If you are a leader, either people will be first, or you won’t be the leader very long.
People are the most Appreciable Asset.
DO YOU CARE FOR ME?
Don’t let stuff own you
- There are only two reasons to have money: To have options and to serve others.
- If your life’s work is to have a life’s work, then you are working for the wrong thing.
Don’t let people own you
- Owe no man anything, and let not others owe you.
- Graciously accept gifts, but never as a means to control you.
Define Success as sowing, not reaping
- You may never see the harvest of your labors. Think of those who have plowed the ground for you and never knew how much they influenced you.
- Commit now to not leave this world without having impacted others for good.
Focus on Self- Development not Self-Fulfillment
Keep growing to keep giving
- People who stop growing will stop giving.
- People who stop growing will lose their passion
- The greatest gift you can give someone is your own personal development