The One Minute Manager – Ken Blanchard & Spencer Johnson – Book Review – Part II
THE SECOND SECRET – ONE MINUTE PRAISINGS
One Minute Manager makes it easier for his employees to do well, by giving them crystal clear feedback on how they are doing.
One Minute Manager lets his employees know in no uncertain terms when they are doing well and when they are doing poorly.
One minute manager approach to a new employee – observed their actives very closely and made them keep detailed records of progress which they had to send to him.
This was his way to “Help People reach their full potential” by Catching them do something right. Once he does that then he gives you “One Minute Praising’s”
- Tell people upfront that you are going to let them know how they are doing
- Praise them immediately
- Tell them what they did right – be specific
- Tell them how good you feel about what they did right
- Encourage them to do more of the same
THE THIRD SECRET – ONE MINUTE REPRIMANDS
If an employee makes a significant mistake they get a One Minute Reprimand. He tells the employee precisely what they did wrong. Then he shares how he feels about it – angry, annoyed, frustrated or whatever he is feeling.
He does not attack the person – only the behavior
- Tell beforehand that you are going to let them know how they are doing in no uncertain terms
- Reprimand people immediately
- Tell people how you feel about what they did wrong – in no uncertain terms
- Remind them how much you value them
- Reaffirm that you think well of them but not of their performance in this situation
- Realize that when reprimand is over it is over
1 comment for “The One Minute Manager – Book Review II”