This is the 2nd Law of 15 Invaluable Laws of Growth. As read and understood by me.
LAW 2 – The Law of Awareness – You must know yourself to Grow Yourself
- Do You Have a Sense Of direction?
To reach your potential you must know where you want to go and where you currently are.
To grow yourself, you must know the following:
Your strengths, Your weaknesses, Your interests and Your opportunities
To reach your full potential, you MUST know where you are, and where you want to be.
- There are three kinds of people when it comes to finding direction:
People who don’t know what they would like to do – They are confused
People who know what they want to do, but don’t do it – They are frustrated
People who know what they want to do, and do it – These people are fulfilled.
How To Find Your Passion and Purpose
“The First Step towards change is awareness. The second step is acceptance” – Nathaniel Branden
Do you like what you are doing now?
Socrates said – The unexamined life is not worth living, so the unlived life is worth examining.
What would you like to do?
This is the question of direct passion. Listen to your heart. Knowing yourself and what you want to do is one of the most things you’ll ever do in this life.
Can you do what you would like to do?
Dreams are necessary for success. But not every dream is possible due to natural limits. There is a big difference between having a dream that propels you to achieve and pulling an idea out of thin air that has no connection with who you are and what you can do.
Do you know why you want to do what you would like to do?
Doing something for the right reasons also keeps life less cluttered and your path clearer. For e.g. ask yourself – It gives me energy, It makes a difference in the lives of others, it fulfills me, I was born for this.
“Your vision will become clear only when you look into your heart. Who looks outside, dreams. Who looks inside, awakens.” – Carl Jung
Do you know what to do so you can do what you want to do?
This is the “What now?” question
- Awareness – Becoming very conscious of every choice you make – You cannot change direction if you aren’t aware that you’re not headed where you want to go.
- Action – The major difference between those who do it and those who don’t do it, is those who do it, do It means taking initiative, doing something specific every day that will take you another stop closer to your goal.
- Accountability – This can be shared accountability with a friend or coach, or personal accountability by writing things down and tracking your progre When you tell others about what you intend to do, it puts pressure on you to keep working at it.
- Attraction – Who are the people you are attracting? Are they like-minded in success? – You will begin to produce the behavior you desire and you will start getting closer to doing what you want to do.
Do you know people who do what you’d like to do?
This is the question of mentors and coaches – do you have one or more?
- Get committed – if you have to, pay people for their time and advise
- Be consistent – Meet regularly with someone who can help you
- Be creative – Learn from people even if you can’t meet them. Start with their books.
- Be purposeful – Prepare for every interaction
- Be reflective – Reflect on each encounter and discover what you are learning
- Be grateful – ALWAYS show appreciation for what you are learning from other
Should you do what you would like to do with them?
- Possess a teachable spirit
- Always be prepared
- Set the agenda by asking questions
- Demonstrate learning from them
- Be accountable for what you’ve learned
The goal is to find a mentoring relationship that is mutually beneficial. Every person who can help you is not necessarily the right person to help you. You must pick and choose.
Will you pay the price to do what you want to do?
“Probably the most honest self-made man ever was the one we heard say: ‘I got to the top the hard way – fighting my own laziness and ignorance every step of the way” – James Thom
When can you start doing what you’d like to do?
Nobody ever got ready by waiting. You only get ready by starting
What will it be like when you get to do what you want to do?
It will be different from what you imagined. When you do what you want to do it will be more difficult than you ever imagined. When you do what you’ve always wanted to do, it will be better than you ever imagined.
There are two great days in a Person’s Life: the day you were born and the day you discover why – John Maxwell