This is the Law 14 of The 15 Invaluable Laws of Growth by Dr. John C. Maxwell, as read and understood by me.
Growth Always Increases Your Capacity
“Find The Edges and Move Them Out?”
If you’re still breathing and you are of sound mind, then you have the potential to keep increasing your capacity.
We don’t have a clue as to what people’s limits are. When someone is pursuing their dreams, they’ll go far beyond what seems to be their limitations.
When you think of limits, you create them.
Learning more information isn’t enough. You must change how you think and you must change your actions.
The Potential that exists within us is limitless and largely untapped, when you think of limits, you create them – Robert J. Kriegel and Louis Patler
How to Increase Your Thinking Capacity
Stop thinking more work and start thinking what works
- Capacity is not always about “more”. It starts with better.
- Ask these question about what works:
- What am I required to do?
- What gives me the greatest return?
- What gives me the greatest reward?
Stop thinking can I ? Start thinking how can I ?
- The most common reason people do not overcome the odds is they don’t challenge them enough.
- Ask this question: “What would you attempt if you knew you could not fail?”
- Discuss this truth: “Self-limiting statements always work.”
- Remember, most systems in nature are on a constant readjustment to correct the direction toward the goal.
- Body temperature is regulated by always correcting b. A flower grows by always responding to the sun
- Don’t confuse the need to correct with failure.
Don’t give up while making progress – Perseverance is the key – Everything looks like a failure in the middle.
Stop thinking one door and start thinking many doors
- There are ALWAYS options
- There is more than one way to do something successfully
- The odds of arriving anywhere increase with creativity and adaptability.
- Movement with intentionality creates possibilities
- Failures and setbacks can be great tools for learning
- Knowing the future is difficult; controlling the future is impossible
- Knowing today is essential; controlling today is possible.
- Success is a result of continued action filled with continual adjustments.
The greatest challenge you will ever face is that of expanding your mind. It’s like crossing the great frontier. You must be willing to be a pioneer, to enter uncharted territory, to face the unknown, to conquer your own doubts and fears.
Man’s mind once stretched by a new idea, never regains its original dimensions. – Oliver Wendell Holmes
How To increase Your Capacity for Action
If you change only your thinking and you neglect to change your actions, you will fall far short of your potential.
Stop doing only those things you have done and start doing those things you could and should do.
- Will you continue to do what you have always done? Or try something new?
- What we should do can and will shift in importance.
- Expansion requires leaving your comfort zone
- Making mistakes is a sign you are actually doing something
Stop doing what is expected of you and start doing more than is expected.
- We live in a culture that gives trophies for just showing up
- Expanding means we must do more than is expected
Stop doing important things occasionally and start doing the important things daily
- When is the time to not do important things?
- Remember, success is determined in your daily plans.
“Measure Your Capacity”
Expand Your Capacity – Expand Your Impact
- Your impact is a direct function of your capacity
- There is nothing in your past that determines your future – Your capacity must grow.
- Ask yourself where your impact is right now – now ask yourself where you would like your impact to be. That difference is the limits of your capacity.
GROWTH ALWAYS INCREASES YOUR CAPACITY!