This is the 6th Law of 15 Invaluable Laws of Growth. As read and understood by me.
LAW 6 – The Law of Environment – Growth Thrives in Conductive Surroundings
“The first step towards success is taken when you refuse to be a captive of the environment you first find yourself in” – Mark Caine
TIME FOR A CHANGE
If you are always at the head of the class, then you are in the wrong class. The best place to learn is always where others are ahead of you.
CHANGE DEPENDS ON YOUR CHOICES
It’s possible to change without growing, but it’s impossible to grow without changing.
“Whether you are a success or failure in life has little to do with your circumstances; it has much more to do with your choices.” – Nido Qubein
One of the keys to making the right changes that allow us to grow is knowing the difference between a problem or challenge, which I can change, and a fact of life, which I cannot.
There are Six Choices to put ourselves in a better place for growth:
Access Your Current Environment
Change for the sake of change is not going to help you. Why you want to change?
A list of areas that may nurture you: Evaluate these on how they list you up even if you are not receiving in one or more of the areas: give the participants time to think on these things.
- Music – What music lifts me up?
- Thoughts – What ideas move me?
- Experiences – What experiences give me energy?
- Friends – Who encourages me?
- Recreation – What activities give me energy?
- Soul – What spiritual exercises strengthen me?
- Hopes – What dreams inspire you?
- Home – What family members care for me?
- Giftedness – What blessings activate me?
- Memories – What memories make me smile?
- Books – What have I read that changes me?
Change Yourself and Your Environment
- Change yourself but not your environment – Growth will be slow and difficult
- Change your environment but not yourself – Growth will be slow and less difficult
- Change your environment and yourself – Growth will be faster and more successful
- Understand that most people are NOT interested in actually growing!
- As you consider your environment, ask these critical questions:
- What nourishes me? GROWTH
- What keeps me alive? PURPOSE
- What sustains me? PEOPLE
Change Who You Spend Your Time With
The People with whom you habitually associate are called your “reference group”, and these people determine as much as 95% of your success or failure in life.
“You are same today that you are going to be in five years from now except for two things: the people with whom you associate and the books you read.” – Charles “Tremendous” Jones
“We become the combined average of the five people we hang around the most.” – Jim Rohn
John recommends finding and accountability partner who will:
- Love you unconditionally
- Desire your success
- Be mature
- Ask you agreed upon questions
- Help you when you need help
Challenge Yourself in Your New Environment
- Make your goals public
- Set a deadline for your goals
When learning from others such as a mentor, explore these questions with this person:
- What is their strength?
- What are they learning now?
- What do I need right now?
- Who have they met, what have they read, or what have they done that has helped them?
- What have I not asked that I should have asked? – Ask your mentor this question.
Focus on The Moment
- There is nothing about your past that determines your future
- Right Now is the most important moment you have in your life.
Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow has not yet come. We have only today. Let us begin – Mother Teresa
Move Forward Despite Criticism
- Growth always comes from taking action, and action will always bring some criticism. There is always someone to tell you are wrong.
- To reach your potential, you must do what others, even yourself, believe you cannot do.
- When you take charge of your life, you can cease gaining permission from others to grow!